Flamenco guitarist Miguelito with dancers Kyoko and Sarah Louisa Castellanos at La Tasca Clarendon. May 1, 2013 (photo by AJ Landaeta)
It's 10-something am on Thursday as I type these words. So last night I had a gig at La Tasca in Clarendon which, lucky for me, happens to be almost walking distance from my house—love it when that happens!
You must be wondering if these Mahou-sponsored flamenco shows at La Tasca are just a one-time deal or if it's a regular thing. Well here's what's up: the Mahou brewery company (from Madrid) is making its way into the bars and restaurants of DC. And Mahou sales rep AJ Landaeta is making that happen to the delight of Spanish beer lovers.
So when a DC area Spanish restaurant adds a Mahou tap to the bar, we're adding a little something extra to the celebration with a live flamenco show. And yours truly with a few flamenco dancers will be doing a little "tour" of the DC area La Tasca restaurants.
As usual, I'll be promoting upcoming Mahou-sponsored flamenco shows of course, but you can also follow Mahou sales rep AJ on Twitter for up-to-the-minute announcements.
Here are a few pics from last night at La Tasca Clarendon. Enjoy!
Flamenco guitarist Miguelito playing an intro for bulerías. April 28, 2012 (photo by Steve Johnson)
It's 2-something pm on Thursday as I type these words. I know I've been slackin' on the blog. What can I say? Business has been picking up and I've been getting a lot of private gigs lately, not to mention rehearsals for the Arte Flamenco recital and this weekend's big event, the DC Feria de Sevilla at Strathmore.
The last time I blogged was in April and today's the last day in May so I figure I should at least crank one out so I can still claim I blog at least once a month. Here goes!
Furia Flamenca dancer Morgan at the Forum of Sidney Harman Hall. March 23, 2011
It's 12:30pm on Monday as I type these words. It's my day off and I'm spending the afternoon at Starbucks in Chinatown to work on my blog.
So yeah, with regards to the title of this entry, last week I went out four consecutive days to support my fellow flamencos!
- Wednesday March 23rd: Furia Flamenca at the Forum of Sidney Harman Hall
- Thursday March 24th: dancers Edwin Aparicio and Anna Menéndez with guitarist Richard Marlow at Las Tapas
- Friday March 25th: dancer Emily Mazzotti at Current Lounge
- Saturday March 26th: guitarists Richard Marlow and Ramin Rad with singers Hector Márquez and Naíto
Of course one of the reasons for my blogging about the DC flamenco scene is to raise the awareness of all that's going on flamenco-wise in the DC area and hopefully enticing you, my readers, to come out and see a show or two.
And yeah, I know that times are tough and most of us can't afford to go out to see a show as much as we'd like. Trust me I know—especially on my struggling artist income! Luckily I do have connections for free or discount tickets, but I can't expect freebies all the time, y'know?
Now if I'm going to be telling you all to go out and support your fellow flamencos, the least I can do is practice what I preach, right?
Dancers Tamara Sol Flys (center) and Sara Jerez with guitarist Miguelito at La Tasca in Old Town Alexandria. February 17, 2010 (photo by Stan Peters)
It's noon-ish on Wednesday as I type these words. It's my day off and I'm at home finishing a few errands before heading out to enjoy the day. Before I talk about the new Sevillanas show, let me get these urgent announcements out of the way. Seriously, it's quite a busy week for flamenco in DC! Here's what's coming up in the next few days:
- Thursday February 24th at 7:30pm - Flamenco Night at El Manantial in Reston, Virginia. Singer Gerard Moreno, guitarist Ramin Rad with dancers Sarah Hart and Isabel Otero. 703-742-6466
- Thursday February 24th at 7:30pm - Flamenco Night at Jalapeño's Restaurant in Annapolis, Maryland. Singer Carlton Ashton, guitarist Behzad Habibzai with dancers Anna Menéndez, Sara Jerez and Pam de Ocampo. 410-266-7580
- Thursday February 24th at 7:30pm - Sevillanas Night at La Tasca Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia. Dancers Sara Candela and Renee Lamont with guitarist Miguelito.
- Thursday February 24th at 7:45pm - Flamenco at Las Tapas in Alexandria, Virginia. Dancers Edwin Aparicio and Tamara Sol Flys with guitarist Richard Marlow. 703-836-4000
- Friday February 25 at 8:00pm - Flamenco at Current Lounge in Dupont Circle. Presented by International Club of DC (tickets required).
- Saturday February 26 at 6:00pm - Berklee Flamenco at the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage. TIP: arrive an hour early to line-up to get a good seat. FREE!
- Saturday February 26 at 7:30pm - Flamenco at Cafe Citron in Dupont Circle. Dancer Sara Jerez and guitarist Miguelito. 202-530-8844
- Sunday February 27 at 7:30pm - Furia Flamenca's Lorca: Flamenco Poetry at the Atlas Performing Arts Center presented by Intersections: A New America Arts Festival.
So what's so special about the new Sevillanas show at La Tasca in Old Town Alexandria?
Singer/guitarist José Oretea at La Tasca Old Town. February 28, 2009 12:18am
It's noon on Sunday as I type these words. Got up a short while ago. No big surprise, right? You're probably assuming I partied late...yet again. But the truth is that I went to bed early, ok actually around 2:00am last night. And I so needed to catch up on sleep cuz I had been literally going out every night this week.
Here are some pics from La Tasca in Old Town Alexandria where rumba group Duende Camarón performs every Friday night from around 10pm to midnight. Enjoy!